There are very few things that I cook well, but BBQ pulled beef is probably among my best. As such, I’ve decided to share this deceptively simple recipe here for all to enjoy. Although I prefer pulled beef, feel free to use a pork roast instead.
- ~3 lb. Beef or Pork Roast
- 20 oz Bottle of non-diet cola or other dark soda (I prefer Cherry Dr. Pepper)
- ~16 oz Bottle of Barbecue Sauce
- Buns or Soft Rolls
- Optional: Some sides to go with it. I recommend potato salad, cole slaw, or even just a bag of chips.
Remember when I said this was deceptively simple? I wasn’t kidding.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Put the roast in the slow cooker and pour the entire bottle of soda over it.
- Set it on low and cook it for 6-8 hours.
- Enjoy how awesome your home is going to smell for the rest of the day.
- After at least 6 hours (once the meat can be easily pulled apart), take it out of the slow cooker, put it on a big cutting board, and shred it apart using two large forks.
- Pour the juices left in the slow cooker through a metal strainer in to a bowl. Discard what’s left in the strainer, save what’s in the bowl.
- Put the meat back in to the slow cooker, then pour in the entire bottle of bbq sauce and mix it together.
- Add some (not all) of the leftover juices to thin it out to your liking.
- Cook for at least another half our or so on low until it is heated through.